Sunday, May 29, 2011

Like a fine wine at 50



I was asked to do this cake by a friend who was throwing a surprise 50th for her young at heart mom.  The theme was "aged like a fine wine" and I thought it was great that each guest brought a bottle as a gift.  She'll be well stocked till next year, lucky girl.
My signature Reeses chocolate cake with a few extras.
I tried working with gumpaste, isomalt and covering a cake board for this one
.

#1 of 3 making of the gumpaste wine bottle.

 1 of 2 Bottle halves that has to dry for days like this then repeat on reverse side for a match.
Much harder than it sounds.


My bottle in the end with confectioners glaze to add that shine.  Along with hand painted fondant labels.  1961 of course.


One of the most expensive Red Wines available 1961 bottle would average $9,939.
How ever you could also pay $49,820 for a 1945 bottle if you can find one.

My inspiration.
All the layer carved into shape about to be dirty iced.
Marshmallow fondant covered and then airbrushed silver.
Fondant covered cake board.
I impressed lines and wood grain effect by hand and then airbrushed.
I wish my hardwood floors looked this good.
Turned out great.


Skor bites dipped in green coloured  white chocolate and Reeses bites dipped in burgundy coloured white chocolate.  This step is dangerous as it's too easy to pop them in your mouth. I dreamed up this idea, so I was thrilled it looked great in the end.
Green grapes assembled around a fondant stem.
Use a touch of unused melted chocolate to assemble in place.
Red grapes being assembled.
They looked great against the wood grain.
I also made ice tongs for the side.
Just add ice.
 These ice cubes looked too real made from isomalt.
 My first time candy making which was a good test of patience.
Some extra treats I made from leftover cake carvings and icing.
I wrapped them pretty and gifted them away.

And just like that the cake was done.
I was happy with how it all came together even though delivery was stressful.

Aimee thanks for trusting me with such an important event.
Hope your mom was thrilled and loved her  Romanee Conti wine treat:)

No comments:

Post a Comment